....Martha.
Jess is a dog lover. I am NOT an animal person to say the very least. I gave in early on in our marriage and we had our first dog. Cooper, a huge newfoundland that we loved. He was an outside dog. And after he died Jess decided no more dogs outside when we get a dog it has to be "a part of the family". I was very much against dog smell in the house, an animal walking around me ALL the time, messes, hair, slobber, etc. This put us at an impasse.
Now enter my four or maybe three ANIMAL loving children. They cuddle they love they carry every animal they see. We had a stray cat coming around they named Sophia and told me "if we love it a lot it might choose us to be its home. " They sat outside day after day waiting for Sophia to come around. My resolve started to have a few nicks.
And on came my excuses "when we get our own house", "when we get a fence around our own house", "when things calm down a little", "after our vacation", "maybe after dad gets released..." Then at some point I completely lost my mind and we started going to the humane society. My brain had completely left my body. I am pretty sure it was in Greece gazing out over crystal blue waters. But anyway I started thinking this is the season. Children, chaos, messes, here I am . BRING ON THE DOG!!!!!!
And we fell in love with Martha. Skinny, shy, gentle, and smelly. She was a hunting dog. Found wandering around Koke'e. They named her Martha at the pound. We tried to tell our kids they could change the name but they wanted her to keep her identity.
And she stinks, she makes messes, (she is totally house broken miracle of all miracles) she follows me around all day, I have guilt whenever I have to leave her here, she tries to chase the kids out of the car when I drop them off at school and jerks my arms out my sockets every morning, she is expensive, and time consuming, but......
.....to everything there is a season.





11 comments:
I think you have the brown version of our dog Sox. Martha is so cute. I love that you gave in to the indoor dog too. And I relate to EVERY single item... the guilt, the following, and the arm sockets. Welcome to the family Martha. <3
You are a saint. If I saw Meah, I couldn't resist either.
I will tell my kids according to you there is some hope I my change my mind as well. You are a better woman than I. Good Luck
Oh Bet, those pics are soooooooo sweet!!! Martha is a BEAUTIFUL dog! Even I want to pet her! :) I'm so glad you posted pics so I could see the new addition to the fam. I seriously think she's a beauty and I'm SO glad the kids kept the name "Martha". I just love it!
Love you!
She is a beauty! What a great addition to the Jensen fam! Love you!
You are the best mom in the whole world! My kids want to come and live with you.....can we just send Easton??? Hee Hee...just kidding! Martha is sweet and how cute is reading to the dog!
I am reading this and having deja vu. Have you been to my blog lately? We have a very similar story! Only lucky you she's housebroken. We rescued a puppy. So added to the hair, smell and chaos, we get to potty train and get up twice an night. The humane society is a dangerous place! Martha is a cutie.
Beth the dog is adorable! My favorite picture is the last one where it looks like A doesn't even have a shirt on :) Love it! Such a good mother. I have told my kids NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO for years - I just don't think that I could do all of the work after having my kids make promises that I know they will NEVER keep. sigh.....you are a good mom, not me :)
The dog is so cute and your kids will have wonderful memories of their new friend that will last a lifetime. Not an easy job to have a pet, but worth it. You all look wonderful.
Beth, your dog is so cute and it looks like the girls are loving her. Your story reminded me of my dad battling with Eric until he finally did give in and let him get a dog. Now that Eric is married and took the dog with him Kari has been working on him to get another. I don't think he will cave again.
Happy Birthday Meah! What a beautiful girl she is, you just have the most beautiful family Beth, and Martha is so sweet. What a cute dog, I know exactly how you feel about the whole dog thing, I tried to do it, but I was too allergic to our doggy, so my dad had to take him for us. He was soooo cute, and messy, and smelly and expensive. How do they do it? We just fall for them...
She's so cute though, well done!
Post a Comment