Thursday, July 10, 2008

Denmark!!!!!!!

So I am finally going to post about the rest of the trip. I could pretend like I have been so busy doing really responsible things but really we have been playing at the beach everyday since we got home. I love summer vacation. Anyway... I am going to try and shove two weeks into a somewhat short blog so here goes. The first night in Denmark Grandma and Grandpa were so wonderful and watched the kids while Jess and I went to the temple. (Thanks again!!!) It was such a wonderful experience to be there. Especially for Jess. We stopped by a few days later to show the kids and get these picts.



The next day we went Frederiksborg castle. It was beautiful and huge. The girls loved dancing in the ballroom with their Daddy. All they cared about was which bedroom the princess slept in. They went and ran around the gardens and had such a great time. That afternoon we went into Copenhagen to pick up our friend Jesper and hang out. There are people everywhere and millions of bikes and cars and pedestrians so we are driving around trying to find a place to pull off and pick up Jesper and then we lost Grandma and Grandpa so we had to pull over and hope and pray they found us. They did. So we circle the block for about the 3rd time and I pulled into a taxi pick up and we starting yelling "JESPER GET IN THE CAR!!!!" and all the taxis were honking like crazy and I could not stop laughing to even drive the car. I think that was the moment we realized we were no longer in Kauai.



The next day we went to "Hamlet's castle" or Kronborg. This was B's favorite part because they had this huge dungeon underneath that was so spooky and cool. When I took this picture I could not even see where they were until it flashed. T did not like it. It was amazing to see how old it was and think that we were standing where people had been imprisoned just like you see in the movies. I guess maybe I am a little messed up but it was pretty cool. We bought a little headband crown for M and as we were walking out of the castle I said to her "I bet everyone here thinks you are the princess of this castle." She looked at me with huge eyes and then just straightened right up and started walking like a princess. She is adorable.



This is Sweden. Can you see it?
Then we got majorly poured on in Copenhagen and we all huddled under an awning on Nyhavn road. I couldn't help but love it. When we went to see "The Little Mermaid" Jess came walking down the rocks and slipped and fell. There was a collective "oooohhhhhhh aaahhhhhh" from all the tourists watching him. Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE falling stories it would have been a lot funnier if he wasn't holding my baby but when another guy came and did the exact same thing I almost broke something trying to hold in my laughter. I know I am a horrible person but I just can't help myself.

We went to the Viking Museum in Roskilde on our way to Jutland. There was all these really cool Viking ships that they pulled out of the ocean and reconstructed and we got pictures of our children making coins and no picts of ships.



We went to church the next day in one of Jess' favorite areas and it was so fun to see how many people remembered him and came running up to talk to him. I was so proud. I think he was a GREAT missionary.
Monday was Sankt Hans Aften which is a small holiday where they have bonfires and burn "witches" carried over from the witch hunt days. It was really fun. This is the before picture of the witch.... and the after.


The next day we went to Ribe. One of my favorite places from our trip a few years ago so I had to go back. It is a really old city with houses from around 1000 AD. I love love love walking down the cobblestone streets and seeing the houses that are SO OLD. We climbed lots of stairs in a church tower and looked over the city which is beautiful.









I have about a million pictures of the streets.
This is us in Germany. Whoo hooo. We crossed the border just to say we went to Germany. We had a great time the rest of the trip with our Germany jokes. They usually started "Well I have spent a little time in Germany and I have found it to be....." Ok so I had a great time with the Germany jokes.
And of course Legoland. Our kids favorite part. We maybe should have just gone to San Diego. I think Jess looked so hot on this ride I had to share it. I took about 10 picts of him. They all loved the wild rides even M. It was so much fun.













The kids loved the little piece of home with the guy in the Aloha shirt. They were so excited.


We had such a great time hanging out at our house with our good friends.
The BFF's.
I love timed pictures. This is our third try. The wind kept blowing the camera. It was hilarious.
We had a fabulous time in Denmark. Jess was so so sad to leave he is Danish to the core.
Seriously our whole trip was perfect everything just seemed to go so well and turned out wonderful .....until the trip home. Copenhagen airport was a nightmare we had to run to our flight even though we got to the airport 3 hours early. Our flight coming into NYC from Iceland was late due to weather so we missed our flight to Las Vegas which made us miss our flight to Hawaii the next morning. By the time we got to NYC we had already been traveling for 24 hours with no sleep, little food, and four very tired kids. We ended up having to sleep in the very cold airport that night and hope to fly standby the next morning. We set up the portable crib and put M and T in there and they were just FREEZING in there. This man came up to us and said "are they cold?" So he opened up his luggage and dug out this really warm super nice blanket and put it on them. He sat down by us and we started talking and he had also been traveling forever and his flight had been cancelled. He was from Pakistan living in the US with his wife. He had friends that were going to come and pick him up to stay at their house until his flight the next night. His friends were coming to pick him up and he says "What time do you have to check into your flight?" we say "at 4:00am" So he says "ok I will be back then to get the blanket" His flight was not until 6:00pm the next day but he was going to come back there ten hours early just so my girls could stay warm. We sat there telling him no no no it's ok we can just use our coats and he was insisting that we not take the blanket off them. Jess and I were adamant that he not leave it and us being HUGE dorks finally realized we had bought 3 down comforters in Denmark and had them in our luggage. Anyway he was such a wonderful guy and none of us will ever forget him. Now that we are home safe it was almost worth the nightmare to have met him.
I also have to mention my Dad and Terry "saving" us in Vegas and driving all the way down there and then spoiling us rotten for the two days we were stuck there. It was so nice to be taken care of. Thanks again. We love you guys.
Everyone thought we were CRAZY for going seriously half way around the world with our 4 kids but it could not have been more wonderful. And we cannot wait for the next trip.








8 comments:

Anna said...

Hey, Beth. It has been a very long time, think back to Jr. High at Kennedy...This is Anna (Morgan) Staley. I was looking at Emily Palmer's blog and noticed you left a comment so I checked out your blog. You have a very cute family and from the look of things you have a lot of adventures too! I would love to keep in touch!

Amanda said...

Hey beth it looks like you had a great time. You all look so good and like you had just a great time. Thanks for sharing the pictures. i am glad it all went well with the kids traveling all around the world.

Nickie said...

How awesome! I would love to take a trip like that. Your girls are soooooo beautiful, and your son, what a cutie!
I love falling down stories too, we can be horrible together. Once there was a rug in a furniture store that everyone kept tripping over, so I sat on the chair near the rug, just so I could watch people trip. I have never laughed so hard in all my life....that ought to tell you something.
What a fun fun trip and wonderful memories! Your family is absolutely precious!
Love you!

hollyw said...

I love that Jess fell at the Little Mermaid. The castles are amazing, and for Mom's sake, I'm glad you FINALLY made it safely home. Take Care!

Andrea L. said...

Beth - those pictures were amazing! That really is SO neat to take your kids to where your husband served his mission. I'm sure they will always remember the cool castles. I couldn't help laughing as I read about your girls wanting to be princesses and realizing just how OPPOSITE it would be for our family :) My boys would think the dungeons were way cool too. As for the slipping thing, I could just hear your cute laugh as I read that - it made me laugh. There is nothing wrong with having a good laugh now and then even if it is when someone trips - especially if someone trips. Reading all your posts and seeing your pictures make me want to come see you! I miss seeing you around - maybe Ryan and I could come see you guys sometime? Thanks for the good laugh. You are so funny, and of course, so sweet! Talk to you later

Shylo said...

Sounds like a very fun and memorable trip. If we took the kids to see where Adam went on his mission we would end up in Texas...not nearly as exciting! :) Love the pictures.

Our Little Family said...

Hi! I don't know if Jess remembers me, I am Cori Park. Anna Morgan Staley, my sis-in-law, gave me your blog address- I just had to check it out. It has been forever since I have seen/heard anything about Jess. Your family is so cute! I can't believe you have four. I barely have two and they are still so little. It's nice to meet someone from the past that you don't mind running into. You are more than welcome to drop by our blog and leave a comment if you wish! We'll have to keep in touch through the blogging world. Take care!

SETHER+ONE said...

Bet! Such cute pictures! You guys must be amazing parents if you can make hauling four kids around look that easy. I, as well, love seeing people trip and the best part is the involuntary sound that people make as they trip. Remember your story when you were a cashier and you fell over? I will never forget that one. Anyway, you give me hope that our traveling days aren't over. Love you!!