Friday, April 8, 2011

Waipo Foundation Field Trip

Addi's preschool went to the North Shore last month for their excursion. We visited the Waipo Foundation where they grow kalo and make poi. It was muddy and messy so Addi mostly had a good time. Jess would have been the better one to go trudging through the lo'i for snails than Addi's fat pregnant momma but we had fun anyway. Peeling and cleaning the taro. Addi would not touch it but bossed me around on how to do it.
Rinsing the taro.

Off we go to look at the animals.

One very stinky pig.
Then we were off to the lo'i to get rid of all the snails and their eggs before they planted. Addi jumped right in sank up to her knees and almost lost a shoe. But she surprisingly loved it. She gathered snails in buckets and picked the bright pink snail eggs and squished them through her fingers.
Those would be the smashed snail eggs. Gross.

The buckets of snails for the ducks.
Kamekona and Addi were deep in conversation here about the pros and cons of smashing snail eggs with your hands.


Next month off to the lighthouse.......

3 comments:

Nickie said...

Hawaii is like a foreign country. I've never heard of taros. You live in paradise, if you died, you wouldn't even go anywhere-you're already there! I love seeing all the scenery you live in!
I love Addi's long long hair, she is such a gorgeous baby! I'm gonna have to come over there and see you, I'll just tell Cris, "we have a baby blessing to go to....in HAWAII!" That's my plan...I"ll let you know how it goes!
What are you having? Do you know or are you going to be surprised???
The suspense is killing me!
Love you!

pam said...

Addi is growing up so much! I love that cute face of hers and her hair is so long and beautiful. I am a little ashamed to admit that the snails and their eggs were totally grossing me out! EEWWWW! But way to go, Addi!

Nickie said...

Can we see your baby yet?






Please?
I'm just a little....excited....about...it.
Love you!