Wednesday, February 25, 2009

MOM







Today is the day. Ten years since my mom died. For some weird self centered reason I walk around on this day thinking everyone should know what day this is. The mailman, the gas station attendant, the neighbors, the lady at Costco.......it just seems like such a big deal to me it should be to everyone. So instead of breaking down in front of the lady at Costco I am going to scream it to my blogging world.

My mom was the best ever. She did everything for us and always made us feel like we were everything to her. We always had a cookie jar full of homemade cookies. She was always waiting for us to come home from school so we could tell her all about our day, and we did. Even if it was in the middle of 5th period she never said a word about skipping school she just grabbed her coke and sat down to talk. She was smart and funny and always had something to say. She used to crank up her music and we all danced around the house. (until I was a snotty teenager who HATED Jimmy Buffet) We would sneak off to Hires at 9 o'clock at night to buy onion rings and cherry coke. She was fun and she loved us and we knew it.

Losing her has taught me a valuable lesson as a mother. We are important. I know my kids need me even in the times they don't think so. I know what a mom means to a life. And even though I know they will never really understand it until I am gone I get what I am to them and what they need from me. I know they have the capability to be independent amazing people and I will be here for the times they just can't.

Now I am going to have a coke.

14 comments:

Sara said...

I loved your mom too. She was a wonderful lady. I can't believe it has been 10 years. I am sure she is very proud of you and the family you have raised. Love You!!!

I'm Mindy. said...

What a beautiful tribute. She sounds like the ideal mother!!

Erin said...

I can't believe it's been ten years. Your mom was so much fun and I loved chatting with her at dinner on Fast Sundays - she was always interested in what I had going on and always made sure she gave me a hug before I left. I know she's proud of you and the rest of her family!

Charity said...

I couldn't agree more. My Dad suddenly passed away a little over a year ago. And I feel the same way. It's nice to know someone else out there understands. It was also nice to hear a little about your mother. She sounds lovely! Enjoy your coke!

Kara said...

What a nice tribute to your mom! I never knew she had passed away. I guess it's not something that we talk about when we see you now and again at Thanksgiving! I'm so glad that I know now!! Mom's are the worlds best!! I hope you have lots of cokes today!!!

SETHER+ONE said...

Awww Bet, that was lovely. I think what I remember the most about your house was her making you sit on her lap. I think you loved it, and I know that she did. I also remember going there, I believe while we were sluffing, and eating slices of sharp cheddar cheese. I really liked that there were always sweets there. I think your house was the first place I had those raspberry gummy things and I ate a ton of em. Your mom was refreshingly sarcastic and I loved it. I think you are like her in the joy you get from your kids, and it is so fun to see. Love you!

pam said...

Ah, Beth. I'm sitting here crying. For you. For your Mom. But mostly for you. I'm sorry. I was going to say "I loved your Mom" but instead I will say "I LOVE your Mom", because I still do. She was fun, spunky, cool, smart, very real, always smelled good, and didn't put up with crap from anybody!!! She made me feel like a member of the Rees fam every time I was at your house. She was like my second Mom because she loved me but wasn't afraid to tell me what to do either. :) I remember one of the times I came to pick you up. She came out on the front porch and yelled to me: "For hell's sake, Pam, drive sane!" Hahaha! I love that! A few (of the oh so MANY) memories I have are:
- Of course, she always had a COKE with ice!
- She was an amazing cook. She always made after school (or during school) snacks for us. For some reason it's the eggs and cheese that are sticking out in my mind right now!
- She always listened to her music LOUD! In the car, in the home, everywhere. It was so fun to sing and dance - and she was doing it right along with us!
- Remember how our guy friends would come over to your house all the time and we always thought it was to hang out and watch sports with your Mom instead of us?
- How about the time both of our Moms didn't go to a parent meeting with a few other Moms because they didn't want to "regret anything they would say"! Props to both of our Moms for that one!!
- She "special ordered" those little purple grape sour candies from Harmons. They are my favorite and I think of her each time I eat them.
- She was always reading a book!
- So, one time she caught us sneaking home from Glades! Haha! She probably saw us while we were "stuffing". Anyway, when we got home she greeted us at the door and made us take everything out. (Even from the rolls on our shorts!!) I remember that she let you keep your butterfinger! I thought that was generous! I think that is the only time she ever did anything about our "walks" even though she knew, I'm sure, each time we went!
- Okay, now that this has turned into a LONG blog entry (and I really could go on and on and on) ... I will just say that she was FUN, FUN, FUN! I miss her. I love your Mom and I love YOU!

Tukuafu's said...

Has it really been that long? It seems like yesterday she would let a million of us girls sleep downstairs and raise cain all night long. We never heard a peep from her.. she was always just sitting in her nightgown upstairs. She really was a great lady and you are just like her! Loves!

Sushi-Mama said...

Ten years ago, Chris and I were newlyweds and we returned one evening from a date to a message from Shan telling us that Sandra had died. I remember just sobbing into Chris' shoulder as I thought about all of you and your loss. I do remember the beautiful funeral, too. I'll never forget your mom. One of my favorite memories is of her playing a 8-track of Neil Diamond while she danced and swooned like a teenager. I have many of the same memories as Pam, it was just Shan and me instead of Beth and Pam. I love you and love reading your blog. You are a wonderful mother and person! Aloha... (p.s.- could you look for a house on Kauai for us?)

Andrea L. said...

Beth - that was so sweet! Your mother was so loved (and still is). Still in the ward, we will hear the "Sandra Rees" stories and the fun memories. She was such a wonderful woman. She raised such a great family and awesome kids! Every year at this time I think of you and your family - for some reason I remember this day. Everyone should know about your mother - I am so sorry that she was taken from you so soon. The way you have lived your life is so inspiring to me, because I just don't know how I would cope with losing my mother. Your mother was ALWAYS so friendly and kind whenever I would see her. She truely is missed!
I am so grateful that I was able to know her and know you and your family - amazing people. Thanks for the heartfelt post, - I wish that I could hug you! Love you Beth!

Nickie said...

Oh Beth, I know just how you feel, why don't people just stop what they're doing and remember her?
I'm so sorry, I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone, and certainly not someone like you. I'm right there with you honey, this year will be year 11 for us and it doesn't ever stop stinking.
Hang in there, I'm thinking of you, and I'll remember her too. She was such a sweet lady, you'd have to be sweet to put up with all us girls haning out at your house, and all our wars with the dumb boys. Sorry sweety.
Love you

hollyw said...

What a great example of a women remembering what is important in life! She sounds like she was a great mom.

Ty Pearson said...

Hey Beth...I realize this is a really late comment, but I hadn't been to your blog in some time and I was just catching up.

This was an awesome post. Very well-written and full of emotion. You clearly loved your mom. And any fan of Jimmy Buffet is already on the golden road, heavenbound :)

Say hello to Jess for me. Looks like you guys are all doing great!

-Tyler Pearson

Butterfield Family said...

Beth,

I just read your post about your mom and I love you! You seem a lot like her and that is good. You are a great person and I hope to always stay friends. Love you.